Wednesday, June 29, 2005

For Boston, For Boston, We Sing Our Proud Refrain! For Boston, For Boston...

- Dropkick Murphy's

Three universities in one day was my accomplishment yesterday. If anyone is paying attention, you will realize that I had two interviews yesterday: one at Berklee and one at BC. Both were for entry-level "higher education" jobs that are not my top priority, but they have some things I AM looking for that make them viable options if things don't work out the way I plan on the job front.

The job at Berklee is in the Registrar's Office and as of last Thursday turned into two different job options: Administrative Assistant and Content Manager. The latter was only approved last week and I learned of the split at the beginning of the interview. So who knows where we're going with that.

The job opening in BC is at the Students Support Services office, doing some work for financial aid officers.

Both are low-paying but have good benefits (although BC is more of a benefit to me because I could potentially take graduate level courses for free and earn a masters degree). The real downside is the fact that they are in Boston, I don't have a car, and the commute by train takes anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to about 2 hours (depending on which school you're going to). Damn, it stinks to be poor! (although my commute would only be lessened to 1 hour if I could drive.)

In other news, I spent the evening at MIT with Andrew, thoroughly enjoying his Blue's Clues memo pad holder and trying to avoid some guy named Dave who went to Penn with us and was a member of PiLam (I don't really know why, but it just seemed the right thing to do at the time). I also got a free meal at Legal Sea Foods (who was I to argue?), which I was led to believe is a Boston staple. I think the impression Andrew was trying to give me was, "How the hell could you never have eaten at a Legal Sea Foods, you socially inadequate lout! How DARE YOU take on the name of Masshole??!!!" I got the point and ate my chowda' like a starving Somali child with a hollow little Buddha belly (did I mention that my only meal that day was a grande capuccino at Starbucks?).

Speaking of Starbucks, my Anthony was less than pleased when I called to tell him that the hottest guy I've seen in a while is working at the Starbucks near Berklee's campus, on the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston Street. It is very likely that he is a Berklee student and I have no intention of teaching a younger man anything about the wonders of the female sex, but I think I managed to hurt Anthony's feelings when I told him I had fallen in love and was running away with a young, dark-haired Starbucks employee. Ooops.

What can I say? I have no other friends to gossip with... Although Christy and I DO agree on the utter HOTNESS of Christian Bale (or, as Anthony likes to put it, "that American Psycho guy"). However, he will just have to be content at number ten on my cheat sheet (preceded by, in no particular order: Ty Pennington, Owen Wilson, Tom Welling (Smallville, anyone?), Orlando Bloom (but only as an elf - I have a "thing," if you will, for elves; Ron Livingston, Michael Vartan, Johnny Depp, Henry Rollins, and Clive Owen).

Please don't ask me what a cheat sheet is. If you don't have a deal with your significant other for a free ride every once in a while (no pun intended), you're not working hard enough to keep the passion alive.

I must say though, that the cheat sheet is highly amusing to me. I keep track of a number of my friends' cheat sheets and there is more than one amusing entry. I will list a few here:
  • Paul Ruebens (yes, THAT IS PEE-WEE HERMAN! And NO, that is not a joke!)
  • The Dell Computer guy
  • David Bowie AND Iman (it's a two-fer!)
  • Ozzy Ozbourne, but only from the Black Sabbath Days
  • Matthew Perry when he was on prescription painkillers ONLY
  • (and my personal favorite, the ever "charming") Darth Vader

And with that, I have family visiting and must go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha, where on earth did you run into Dave? He's in Beantown for the summer. We hooked him up with Pete's brother so they can go to goth clubs together. Speaking of Pete, he was flattered by being told by a young lady that he resembled Mr. Bale while we were at a wedding this weekend. I think those are the only creepy parallels to our lives right now. Oh, and hi... it's been way too long. I'm a rotten person. Love me?

Ryan said...

Dave was at MIT for some unknown reason. Does Pete's brother attend or something? In any case, yeah, I suppose I still love you (even if I didn't get to see you the whole year I was back in Philadelphia). I wouldn't go so far as to call you rotten - or to liken Pete to Christian Bale for that matter - but you are on my list of friends who have gone M.I.A. How's life in good old Philly?

Post a Comment