Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Plans for the Future Include Conquering the World

I want to be a life-long public servant, so shoot me. For the past year or so, I'm sure many of you have wondered, "When is Ryan going to settle down and DO something with her life?" or, "Why can't Ryan just stick with ONE JOB for a while?"

As the ten-year-old brat deep inside me would say: Because I don't want to.

The more mature outward self would tell you that I haven't found what I'm really called upon to do yet, but I'm still searching. I have plans. Lots and lots of plans. Backup plans to backup plans, and so on.

In fact, I've spent much of my internet time lately working on my strategy for taking the Foreign Service oral assessment later this month. Yes, I know, I've already worked for the State Department and many days it was less-than-perfect, but I'm trying out for the other side of the house this time around and I'm hoping things will be, if not different, then at least career-making. I think the work will be more challenging and I'll experience a greater diversity. So wish me luck on the exam because, if I pass, we all know I'm a shoo-in for the security and medical clearances.

HOWEVER, if plan A were to fall through the cracks, I still have plan B: apply to every last government job that I could possibly qualify for in an attempt to weasel my way into the foreign service through the back door. And I'm not just talking about the State Department here, folks. There's USAID, the Peace Corps - if they send their employees abroad, you know I'm applying!

It's not really a plan B so much as a currently workable plan that's already been put into action. Because, oddly enough, I can pass the Foreign Service oral assessment, obtain all my clearances, and STILL be on the waiting list for up to 18 months. We all know how much Ryan likes unemployment so let's just say that I won't be spending my wait in that state of things.

(For those of you who say, "But wait! You're already employed!" let me just explain to you that although I am a contractor for the Department of Treasury, I am contracted through a temporary employment agency, which means that my benefits amount to diddly-squat. Hell, I'm still considering getting Anthony so hammered he says "I do" and confers all his family health benefits to me! Mwahahahaha...)

Plan C involves the Peace Corps on a whole new level - the 27 months of living like a social worker, a.k.a. the volunteer experience. As of November 17th, I will know how well I did with the FS oral assessment, and if I have failed, I am working towards the Masters International or Masters USA programs that the Peace Corps offers, whereby your two-year volunteer commitment serves as credits toward a masters degree program. I am looking at the Masters of Science in Public Policy and Management program at Carnegie Mellon University (Jeff, you're totally getting a call from me on the 18th if I fail the FS exam), the Masters in Public Administration at George Mason University, and the Masters in Political Science at George Mason University.

This means that I am also looking into taking the GRE and have been bugging Mel for all of her Kaplan knowledge.

So basically, when/if I return from the Peace Corps, I can start the job application process all over again, only this time with a little more experience in my bag of tricks. If I'm going to take this "having a career" thing seriously, I might as well do all that I can to assure myself of one.

You might now be wondering to yourself, "Where is Anthony in all of this?"

Well, like the good houseboy he is, he'll be in the kitchen, baking me a pie.

Actually, we've had this conversation in a semi-realistic tone of voice and he promised to wait for me. Maybe, just maybe, if I'm a really good girl, he'll come visit me. Or, in the case that I'm working for some government agency's foreign service, he'll be able to come live with me while he continues to work for the State Department. It's all just one big pile of what-if's. We're taking it as it comes, folks.

All I know is that my mommy will visit me and really, isn't that all we really need in life? (Yes, specifically my mom. Or Ben's mom - whichever.)

So that's the story of the next few months of my life, people. If you have any advice, suggestions, or comments, please don't refrain. Post it here or email me. Heck, post it here AND email me! Whatever floats your boat and keeps me happy is all I ask.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ryan!
Wish I had some words of wisdom, but unfortunately I'm not that wise.
But I am thinking of you and sending you vibes of goodness, and I hope that helps even a little...

Post a Comment