Thursday, February 16, 2006

Please Explain

I sincerely don't understand the continued upheaval in Pakistan over those Danish cartoons. What is the connection to the United States? How will burning buildings and killing people change things? I don't care who is inciting these people to riot - how mind-numbingly stupid do you have to be to think that violence is okay? (Baa-baa go all the little sheep.)

I'm looking at pictures in today's newspaper and there are children rioting. Yes, children. There is also a report that one of the protesters accidentally shot and killed an 8-year-old boy. What parents allow their children to attend a riot? (Or a violent protest - whatever terminology you prefer.)

Can someone please explain to me (in small words so I understand) how this could happen in this day and age? I'm trying to understand, to empathize, but I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for a violent group of people who hate all Westerners indiscriminately.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I find the whole thing simply incredible. While I generally agree that Islam is a religion based in peace, I also believe that most of the middle east does not subscribe to this interpretation. Just like the Red State Christian wack jobs, the people in the middle east have been brainwashed by their religious leaders into mindless idiots. For whatever reason, these people have no way to think for themselves. The leaders are no better. It seems to me that (like most religious leaders) they have a political agenda that they are pushing and that’s simply that the West is filled with evil people that must be opposed at all costs. They should be careful or pretty soon even the most liberal westerners are going to begin labeling all Muslims as war mongering terrorists. I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing. It may help bring all this crap to a head.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan, Here's a different approach to dealing with the madness of cartoon-gate. www.boomka.org. First there were the danish cartoons that enraged the muslim world. Then an Iranian paper decided to respond and test the West's commitment to free speech by starting a contest for cartoons on the Holocaust. So a group of Israelis, deciding that no one can make fun of Jewish people better than Jews themselves, started a contest for anti-semitic cartoons for Jewish participants only. I think mocking the madness with humor is the way to go.

Post a Comment