Thursday, April 27, 2006

I have ten seconds, and I share them all with you

I know I have been greatly remiss in my blogging lately, but I am trying to get back into it. Work has actually picked up since I became official, and my background life, i.e. that part of my life that happens outside of my cubicle, has been relatively unexciting. If I were a better writer, I am sure I could come up with something witty to say about everyday things, but I am not, and so my Blog suffers from neglect.

The most recent outing I experienced was to Spotsylvania, VA, to visit my friend Laure. She and I met when I was an intern for Diplomatic Security - yeah, way back in the day. In any case, she slaved over a five-course Indian meal for Anthony, myself, and several other of her friends and family members. Like always, it was a joy to see friends after so long an absence.

Anthony and I also went to see V for Vendetta before it left theatres in DC last weekend. Anthony adored it, and I said (in my best Shel Silverstein voice no less), "Almost perfect, but not quite." There were some really strong elements in the movie, but they were rendered weak by the truly corny bits. There is a scene where Natalie Portman raises her arms into the rain and I just wanted to shout out (to the crowd of six couples in the theatre), "I am the king of the world!" The scene was that heart-wrenchingly painful to watch.

However, by all means, rent the movie when it comes out on DVD. Or go see it at your second-run theatre. It is a much better crafted movie than most of the other filth Hollywood is passing off as blockbusters these days. And the themes are eerily relevant to today's current events. If you think too hard about it (which I am often guilty of doing), there is a really interesting parallel to be made between Nazi Germany, the England of this movie, and the current political atmosphere. I am sure there is some graduate-level dissertation in there somewhere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm yet to see this film but it is on my list. I belive that the whole film was intended to be a political statement about the current administraion from the get go...

Post a Comment