Monday, December 10, 2007

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!...

This semester felt like a prison sentence, but as of midnight yesterday, I dotted my last "i," crossed my last "t," and submitted my last take-home final. I now have approximately six school-free weeks to enjoy.You would think I would be content to finally sit back, relax, and enjoy the last two seasons of Gilmore Girls on dvd, but the world waits for no woman. I have plans. Lots and lots of plans. Right after I get all that Christmas shopping (and decorating!) done.

Yesterday Anthony and I bought our Christmas tree and he strung thelights while I pretended I could sing along to Johnny Cash's andMartin Sexton's caroling. We also tortured the furry children when were-discovered their Christmas costumes from last year – the Santa capeand booties for Grace, and the red and black sweater for Pookie. I can't even begin to tell you the hilarity that ensues when you put ourcat into clothing. It's like he is retarded. He can't walk. Which means he can't run away either. It's pure unadulterated misery forhim to endure, and I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT. So much so that we hadto knock on the neighbors' door to have Chris partake of the Christmasspirit (which is somehow so beautifully connected to Pookie beingthrust into a Christmas sweater).

(As a run-up to the Twelve Days of Christmas Movies, which launches ina few days…) Tonight we plan to finish Christmas-izing the condo soAnthony can enjoy it's gloriousness for a week and a half before he forsakes me for the wild, warm yonder of North Carolina. Then I can repent all the material extravagance of the season by converting to Judaism and spending Christmas Eve with my friends for Korean BBQ, andthen Christmas Day with Chinese food and movies. Being Jewish rocks, man.

In the meantime, I plan to paint the bedroom – the final frontier, asI like to think of it. Anthony has already suffered through me painting the living room and the office, and now he gets to sneak away while I take care of the bedroom. He will barely recognize the placewhen he gets back. It'll be awesome.

I also have plans to continue my search for jobs and internships inLima, Peru. I wish it were easier, but Martha can back me up and attest to the difficulties associated with working abroad. My circumstance makes life a little more difficult, in that I actually need to have a job of some substance so I can convert it into an internship credit to finish out my degree. I guess that rockin' job as secretary at the embassy is out. We'll see where my search gets me, and I will keep you updated when I can.

But, speaking of school, it looks like I'm in the home stretch. I signed up for my last three required classes for the spring semester –Ethics (HA!), Intro to Public Administration (clearly something I was supposed to take a year and a half ago, when I started this program),and my second methods course. I just finished my first methods course– Statistics – and am currently registered for Statistics II, but am advocating for a slot in the closed section of Program Evaluation. I figure I can pull the "pity me" card and point out the fact that I am leaving for Lima next summer and won't ever have the opportunity to take the course again, but I am leaving nothing to chance. I maintain my waitlist position for the course, but am signed up for Stat II(grumble, grumble). We'll see how far my charm and charisma get me.

Otherwise, things are pretty great on the home front. Anthony would say they're "freakin' awesome!" – but that's only because he no longer has to be my housemaid (all that meal planning, cooking and dish-washing was really getting to him). School is out and I can now partake of the household responsibilities. Life is pretty damn spiffy.

2 comments:

ekonor said...

My request should be obvious - I want pictures of your cat in a sweater!

Gordo said...

This headline looks remarkable when I see half of it on my iGoogle page.

Post a Comment