Thursday, July 14, 2005

I Stand Corrected

As was pointed out by the two comments earlier, that forward I received yesterday that had commentary attributed to Anne Graham was not entirely correct. The actually interview went like this (thank you, Yael):

Jane Clayson: I've heard people say, those who are religious, those who are not, if God is good, how could God less this happen? To that, you say?

Anne Graham Lotz: I say God is also angry when he sees something like this. I would say also for several years now Americans in a sense have shaken their fist at God and said, God, we want you out of our schools, our government, our business, we want you out of our marketplace. And God, who is a gentleman, has just quietly backed out of our national and political life, our public life. Removing his hand of blessing and protection. We need to turn to God first of all and say, God, we're sorry we have treated you this way and we invite you now to come into our national life. We put our trust in you. We have our trust in God on our coins, we need to practice it.

However, what I said before still holds true for me. There is someone else out there who put that forward together, and then there is a whole group of people out there who continue to send that around, believing, if not it's source, then at least it's words to be true.

At the same time, I still think that the forward contains some essence of Anne Graham's sentiments. She may not have been as aggressive in her approach, but it appears to me that she is still saying that because Americans have asked God to stay out of our public lives, 9/11 was allowed to happen and now God is angry over the tragedy. She is still trying to push her faith on all of America in her own way, and I think that is a mistake.

In any case, Anne, I owe you an apology for misconstruing your words in my earlier post.

No comments:

Post a Comment