Saturday, September 10, 2005

Love is in the Air

Darwin and Emma are engaged! Do you see THAT ROCK?!! Not only was I introduced for the first time to Emma, I was introduced for the first time to Darwin's FIAN-friggin'-CE! Well, how do you like that?

I liked that very much, thank you. Emma is a wonderful girl - even if she does thank her hosts a little too profusely for offering her just the smidgiest bit of toast, water, and shelter!

We had a wonderful time getting to know her and convincing the two of them to stay "just a little bit longer" - you know, until it's Christmas or something.

Emma entertained us all - but perhaps mostly herself - with trying to teach San and Mom how to speak in Northern Irish. Instead of saying "cow" like a native Belfast-ian (what do you people call yourselves anyway?), my mother now lets out long gutteral sounds the likes of which Dora from "Finding Nemo" might utter to a group of whales. In fact, it's been quite the ride to work in the mornings, with San thinking he can pass for Irish with his dead-on Emma impersonations.

And still, I was sorry to see them go on Friday - and by "sorry to see them go," I mean "sorry I wasn't even there to see them off." Unfortunately, the wicked ways of the world are upon me, and I am a member of the working poor so I was utterly unable to wake Emma out of her Nyquil-induced coma and give them both their farewell hugs. Instead I collapsed on top of Emma the night before whilst she was trying to sleep - uh, I mean, talk to us, yeah, that's it, talk to us - and bear-hugged the tears out of Darwin.

I miss them already. And they are only one country away at the moment, living up their newly engaged status in Canada. You crazy kids!

Maybe next time around, I can finagle it so I am actually on holiday myself, and not resembling the Night of the Living Dead with my harassed-looking appearance and deadly case of the snooze. Due to her status as "goodly housewife," my mom even got to spend more time with the happy couple than I! (Yes, I am still crying over that fact.) She brought them out to Maine for a day, and got them all hopped up on lobster and ocean breezes.

Although San and I DID take them out to fly kites over the Wachusett Dam. It lasted all of five minutes, but they were MY FIVE MINUTES, dammit!

Hmmmm, what else did we do? Oh yes, I celebrated Darwin's ten-year anniversary of attending Clinton High School by actually contacting our friends from high school. What a scary prospect, to say the least. I've been home for several months no and had no intentions of doing so, but Darwin, my dear, you are worth the price of admission so... Three bloody mary's later, Christian and Jeff were sitting in my kitchen, with Andrew on his way from Cambridge to be my backup. And by "backup," I mean "sole financial provider for all our Labor Day fun and intrigue." Thank god for Andrew - he made the occasion almost feel normal. And by "normal," I mean "only slightly less awkward, but at least he was sober so he could drive."

What can I say? Things haven't changed much since high school, except the boys now chain-smoke, drink, and are even more caustic than ever. Joanna was working, nobody seemed to have Mike's contact information, and I couldn't reach Christy, so Christian and Jeff were the best I could do for Darwin. The problem was that they pretty much ignored him for most of the night.

So much for that idea. I became an annoying drunk for absolutely no reason, and Andrew shelled out money for a bunch of people he didn't know. It's all rather comic, you know. (Don't worry Andrew, the check's in the mail.)

Otherwise, I had quite a pleasant visit, if only too short. I know I'll see them both again at the wedding, but I'm really hoping for a more intimate holiday with them, one without major distractions like work and wedding guests.

Since I now know that you read this, Darwin, you do realize that I fully expect you to comment less anonymously! And, I love you... gosh, we're so proud of you! Emma, if you're reading this too, just know that we think you are quite lovely and such a perfect choice for our Darwin! You are always welcome wherever we are (that goes for you too, Darwin).

2 comments:

Modern Day Psalmist said...

Oh Darwin! Congratulations! Wish I could have seen you and your bride to be.
J - thanks for the note on my blog. That was a night of bitter frustration and defeat... reading your note made me feel better. Thanks again.

Do you realize it's been like 7 years since I've seen you?

Wow - Christian and Jeff. Miss those guys. If you talk to them again, pass them my info.

Mike is living in Fitchburg, I think. (last time I heard at least) Didn't Joanna move to CT?

Ahh memories... bet you're glad to be moving to DC soon, right?
Tee-hee. Drop me an e-mail sometime, okay? Maybe we can plan a trip to Chi-town or some other such place. (I'm sure Indianapolis is not on your top 10 to visit...)

Love,
P

Ryan said...

Petes:

The funny thing is that everyone lives at home now, except perhaps Mike. Joanna, Jeff, and Christian all moved home. Only Joanna is in touch with Mike, and I haven't seen her yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to let them know where you are. (Although I did run into Mike's little sister, Kate, at Shaws this summer and she says he's doing well.)

Post a Comment