I have had this conversation with many of my friends, but I still can't understand how backwards some of the Muslim population of the world is.
Now, before you get all up in my grill, as Erin would say, I am the one constantly telling my friends that it is not the Muslim religion itself that advocates violence, it is unstable individuals who are only looking to religion for an excuse for bad behavior. My essential point is that I honestly believe that most Muslims are good people.
However, the bad people have guns that they're willing to use so they get in the paper a lot more.
All that being said, this whole issue about the Dutch cartoons that depict the Prophet Muhammad is almost laughable. If it weren't for the Palestinian militants trying to kidnap Europeans in Gaza. What is wrong with these people?
I just can't get it through my thick skull why anyone would have to resort to violence, intimidation and fear tactics just because someone else doesn't believe the same things you do. Everything I believe in comes down to what my parents always taught me - just get over it. If someone else's behavior isn't harming you in any real sense, other than your feeling of moral superiority, then let it go. You don't have to live their life.
I feel this way about religion, abortion, gay marriage, politics...whatever the hot button issue of the day is, that is the way I roll, folks. It doesn't make any sense for the Arab world to hate the Jews for existing, nor does it make any sense that a lot of Christians think homosexuals are the devil incarnate. Yet while I don't agree with these sentiments, I can respect them, and just go about my day. The thing I can't just stand by and watch is when these people feel they have the right to hurt, abuse, or control the life of someone they don't agree with.
Seriously, what is the point?
I'm also pretty sick of the cop-out that God wants it so. If God wanted it so, all the Jews would be smitten, the gays would die out, doctors performing abortions would become sterile, etc. There is no religion in the world that advocates following god's will by destroying another life. If you continue to insist that you have that right, then you are a murderer, plain and simple, and it has nothing to do with religion. You simply have no moral foundation.
So today's news just blows me away. It's a CARICATURE folks, no big deal. Walk away.

7 comments:
The central point about all terrorists is that using coordinated random violence is the only way they feel they can make their point. Look at Palestine and look at the insurgency and look at al-quieda. All of these have a similarity. They are fighting powers that are overwhealmingly more powerful than they are in all respects. So to mount an opposing battle all they have to use is the element of surprise, their own desperation and thier belief in their injustace. I don't fault the terrorsits at all for what they do. In fact I kind of feel that if things continue to deteriorate in America and more and more people feel powerless to stop injustices, you many see more domestic terrorism instances..
well said ryan! Have a great weekend.
The problem with the Dutch cartoon story is that not all the Muslims protesting the cartoon are terrorists. There are plenty of Muslims who are just gathering and protesting. But there are also a group of militant Muslims who are threatening to take European tourists as hostages, and one group even kidnapped a German (who was later released through police intervention). These people should be considered terrorists and NOT Muslims.
As for the rest of your statements about terrorism, I think you're misunderstanding the difference between terrorism and political action. In the Arab states where most of these "Muslim" terrorist groups are finding their financial and popular backing, it is NOT a question of them "fighting powers that are...more powerful than they" and using any means they can to get their point across. They already have the backing of the politicians and are only trying to spread their beliefs outside of the country's borders. And their mode of communication is totally ineffective. Violence begets violence, and those rogue states that pass over from diplomacy to terrorism are not considered full partners in the global discussion. These people simply have to grow up, learn some manners, and start playing nice.
As for your comment on an increase in domestic terrorism, that is something that is widespread in oppressive countries. As much as you or I or the next man dislike the current administration, we do NOT live under the shoe of an oppressive government. We are blessed with freedom of speech and freedom of religion, two of the biggest freedoms that separate us from Iraq, Iran and a host of other nations. People in the U.S. do have a voice and don't need to resort to violence to get themselves heard. Lucky for us, all it takes is a call to our representatives.
I'm with you, sista. I just posted on this too :)
I think living in DC is turning you into a Republican. I'm not going to debate you here, but just know that I think you are incorrect and seeing the world through those Red State eyeglasses.
Your use of the term "republican" seems to me like you don't know what it means. Maybe you can explain to me why you think I'm a Republican...? Or red-stater? Or do you just apply these terms liberally to people who don't agree with you these days?
Like I said.. I didn't want to debate.. but before I qualify my statement, here is a relevant post about the cartoons..
As for you turning into a republican I said that purely becasue you said "As much as you or I or the next man dislike the current administration, we do NOT live under the shoe of an oppressive government. We are blessed with freedom of speech and freedom of religion" which is a bunhc of crap. Our civil liberties are being dimished faster than GWB can do lines of coke.. I can't beleive you actually think that we live in a free country.. that's why I said your glasses were rose colored. You are buying the crap the govt. is feeding you.. wake up man!
I still like you though.
Post a Comment