Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Slackers 'r' Us

As a present to Vince, who's birthday is actually today, I am breaking the silence and writing in my Blog. I don't think many of you noticed that I've been away from here for a few weeks, but if you have been checking religiously every day, you might have.

Basically I'm still up to the same things: applying for jobs, applying to school, and adopting some animals. Yup, last weekend Anthony and I adopted a little girl and she is arriving this Saturday. Anthony's heart just melted when he saw her and he looked at me with such big watery eyes, and there was such a quiver to his lip, that I just couldn't say no.






Could you say no to this face?



My mom couldn't be prouder of her little granddog. She has already offered to drive out and puppysit.

Right now her name is Kate, but we are thinking of renaming her Grace. "Grace" just suits her sweet, calm personality.

Of course, we saw a lot of doggies that we loved at the adoption event and around at other shelters, but she was the best fit for our apartment and our lifestyle. (And who can say no to Anthony when he's fallen in love?) However, you can view several of the pups we met online:

Bingo




This 3-month old was my favorite scruffy dog! He just ran over to me and licked and bit my face (he didn't seem to know the difference). Then he would bound off and chase some other people (not a hint of loyalty in him whatsoever) before returning. What a precious, precious yip-yip dog.



Jazz




She was a Hurricane Katrina rescue with "Kate," with such a nice manner about her and beautiful face.



Kurt


This big bull of a dog ran over me in the Petco with his volunteer in tow. The two of them helped us pick out collars and leashes for our little girl (well, mostly he just pushed me over and sat in my lap - or tried to anyway!).

Lincoln



One of the puppies with the foster mom of "Kate." I didn't play with him because he was pretty terrified of the whole adoption event - I think it was something about the 50+ dogs milling about.



Riley



This sweetheart saw me and immediately sat and gave me his paw. There is nothing that pulls at your heartstrings more than an animal who clearly wants to be adopted. Riley, my friend, you are just too big for us! (sniffle)



Lydia



She gets the cutest puppy ever award! I saw this little furball from my perch with "Kate" and couldn't resist going over to touch her fluffy head.



We also went looking for a kitty to call our very own, but we're experiencing a little difficulty finding a rescue kitty that can handle being in the same room with a dog. There was a really big marmelade lovemuffin at one of the shelters named Poppy that we loved, but his temperament was checked with dogs and his 6-year old brain goes into a meltdown. It's too bad because I think the cat was about the same size as the dog and we know he would have f$#@ed Grace's shiite up if she ever got out of line.

But my favorite little bundle of joy isn't ruled out yet.



He's got all the qualities I look for in a man - cuddly, friendly, outgoing with people, loves to be held, and, above all else, is missing a foot! The only thing that would make him cuter is if he was missing an eye! (In case you are not familiar with my odd sense of aesthetics, I am SERIOUS here, folks.) He just lets you hold hm in your arms and never tries to get free - what a wonderful lap kitty.



Right now we are one of four applications on Chaplin and I'm hoping we are high on that list. As in number one. We have to take Grace over to the cattery next weekend to see how Chaplin interacts with a dog her size, but I'm hoping it's a perfect match. Grace is being fostered with kitties and other doggies and isn't experiencing any difficulties with any of them - it just might work! Keep your fingers crossed for me; I'm IN LOVE with this kitty.

Frankly, that's all that you kids missed. Well, there was the big Jew party last weekend, and the initial Game Night I hosted, and weeks of catching up on Oscar hopefuls (I highly recommend Transamerica and Brokeback Mountain) - but if you weren't here in DC, you didn't miss a thing.

3 comments:

The Frustrated Fed said...

How cute! I so need to pet that shit the next time I'm in D.C.

On the Oscar tip, I highly recommend Capote and Good Night and Good Luck.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the birthday gift.. Cute dog.. I notice how nobody is recomending the film "Crash".. hmn.. I wonder why that may be? Maybe becasue the only reason it's up there is becasue its about race relations and it's good PR for the whitie oscars to add it in there? Hmn...

Ryan said...

Maybe no one recommended Crash because it came out much earlier than the rest of these films and isn't in the theatre anymore. I saw it and I thought they did a wonderful job with it. In fact, it would make a really great play.

Post a Comment