Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Meanwhile, they’re breaking my dog…

I dropped Grace off at the vet this morning to get her surgery with the meanest orthopedic surgeon on the planet. She started trembling in the back of the car by the time we were driving around Dupont Circle, and was panting in earnest by the time I parked the car. Does she ever hate going to the vet.

So now I feel like I deserve the “Worst Mommy on Earth” award. Not only did I force her to go to the vet, but I also a) left her there, b) left her there with Dr. Evil, c) left her there with Dr. Evil so she could get surgery, and d) left her there with Dr. Evil so she could get surgery that may prevent her from coming home until tomorrow. My baby girl may be stuck at the vet’s office OVERNIGHT. I hope she forgives me.

So, the surgery. If I haven’t already told you why Grace is getting surgery, I’ll tell you now. About two weeks ago, we brought Grace into the vet for her regular checkup to see how the ol’ leg is healing. Dr. Elliott took one look at the leg and told us that it wasn’t healing properly. There was swelling and her little foot was sticking out at an odd angle.

We set up an appointment with Dr. Evil for the following week. I brought her to that consultation as well (trembling and all) and had to leave her at the vet’s office for a good portion of the day. By the time I picked her up, she was so happy to see me I thought her tail was going to wag itself off. She was all like, You came back! You came baaaaaaaaaack!!!

Dr. Evil earned his nickname then by calling me and basically blaming Anthony and me for Grace’s leg not healing properly. (Apparently, we really should have followed through with those joke recommendations I thought up in a previous blog.) He really pissed me off with his comments, but the vet office staff reassured me that, although Dr. Evil’s bedside manner really sucks (their words, not mine), he is very good at what he does. He had better be, because Anthony is threatening to introduce Dr. Evil to his little friend if Grace doesn’t come out of this well (so very a la Scarface of him, eh?).

So now I’m waiting impatiently to hear back from the vet’s office. It’s so unceremonious the way you just leave your pet with the vet for surgery – I tried to tell Grace it would all be okay, but, unlike the cat, I don’t think she understood me…

No comments:

Post a Comment