Proviso: I am in the middle of graduate school. We don’t read anything for fun. I started to read Madeline Albright’s memoir near the end of August (right after re-reading the whole Harry Potter series, to include the 7th book), but that has fallen to the wayside because graduate school has taken over my life. So, with my excuses for not being more of a nerd firmly in place, and without further ado…
These are the top 106 books most often marked as "unread" by LibraryThing's users as of 9/30/07. (Stolen from Rob)
These are the original instructions: “As usual, bold what you have read, italicize what you started but couldn't finish, and strike through what you couldn't stand.”
Instead, I bolded what I read, and italicized anything I felt I wanted to comment upon. I’ve read a little less than half the books here, and had something to say about another twenty books. All told, that’s 61! Whew, am I ever a book geek.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (on my Amazon wishlist)
Anna Karenina
Crime and Punishment
Catch-22
One hundred years of solitude
Wuthering Heights
The Silmarillion (own it, not interested; Tolkien’s greatest works are the Hobbit and LOTR – everything else he wrote was pretty dense and difficult to read according to my taste – it’s too bad, b/c I really LOVE elves)
Life of Pi: a novel
The Name of the Rose
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
Ulysses (own it, but I’m hesitant about getting into Joyce)
Madame Bovary
The Odyssey
Pride and Prejudice (probably about 10-15 times, and I own the Keira Knightley version of the movie; the BBC version is on my Amazon wishlist)
Jane Eyre (at least twice)
A Tale of Two Cities (I have basically read everything Dickens)
The Brothers Karamazov
Guns, Germs, and Steel: the fates of human societies (on my Amazon wishlist)
War and Peace (there’s a great cartoon my friend drew of me in high school, clutching this book to my chest – she thought I was an egghead – but I have to admit, I’ve never read it)
Vanity Fair (saw the movie – is that even close?)
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Iliad
Emma (2-3 times)
The Blind Assassin
The Kite Runner
Mrs. Dalloway (on my Amazon wishlist)
Great Expectations
American Gods
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Atlas Shrugged (great read!)
Reading Lolita in Tehran : a memoir in books (own it, haven’t gotten there yet)
Memoirs of a Geisha
Middlesex
Quicksilver
Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the West (saw the musical – does that count?)
The Canterbury tales
The Historian : A Novel (I enjoyed it, Anthony felt it lost steam by the middle – go figure)
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Love in the Time of Cholera
Brave New World
The Fountainhead
Foucault's Pendulum
Middlemarch
Frankenstein
The Count of Monte Cristo
Dracula
A clockwork Orange (hated the movie)
Anansi Boys
The Once and Future King (does owning the movie count? Or how about dating someone who loves, loves, LOVES the movie???)
The Grapes of Wrath (I wrote the longest paper of my life in 8th grade on this book, part of which was a summary of each chapter - do you know how many chapters this book has???)
The poisonwood Bible : a novel
1984 (it’s scary how often I find myself referring to this book and Fahrenheit 451)
Angels and Demons
The Inferno
The Satanic Verses (I read part of it in college, and then read it again last year – I can’t say that I’m a fan)
Sense and Sensibility (Own the movie, own the book, seen/read it plenty!)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (Just read it this year – I really wanted to like Oscar Wilde – his quotes are really quotable – but this received only an “eh” from me)
Mansfield Park (read this at least twice – I have this love of Jane Austen if you haven’t noticed yet)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (again with the movie!)
To the Lighthouse (on my Amazon wishlist)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Oliver Twist (loved it!)
Gulliver's travels (used to watch the movie every weekend as a child – what can I say? We didn’t have a lot of movies; it was either that or the Wizard of Oz)
Les Misérables
The Corrections
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Dune (own it, but haven’t quite gotten around to reading it)
The Prince
The Sound and the Fury (and I abhorred it – reading the quintessential “tale told by an idiot” is an exercise in futility)
Angela's Ashes: A Memoir
The God of Small Things
A People's History of the United States: 1492-present
Cryptonomicon
Neverwhere
A Confederacy of Dunces
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Dubliners (own it, but haven’t quite gotten over my antipathy towards Joyce)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Beloved
Slaughterhouse-five
The Scarlet Letter
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
The Mists of Avalon
Oryx and Crake : a novel
Collapse : how societies choose to fail or succeed
Cloud Atlas
The Confusion
Lolita (on my Amazon wishlist)
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
The catcher in the Rye
On the Road
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Freakonomics : a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything (own it, but haven’t gotten there yet)
Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance : an inquiry into values
The Aeneid
Watership Down
Gravity's Rainbow
The Hobbit (at least five or six times)
In Cold Blood : a true account of a multiple murder and its consequences (again, saw the movie)
White teeth
Treasure Island (this was one of the other movies we owned when I was young, along with Wizard of Oz and Gulliver’s Travels)
David Copperfield
The Three Musketeers (love the movie!)

No comments:
Post a Comment