Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Delightful

I can't say that I was ever a huge fan of Julia Childs, but I remember her distinctly as a background to the early part of my childhood.  (I also distinctly remember the SNL skits done in imitation of her, which were absolutely brilliant.)  It wasn't until I saw the movie Julie & Julia that I actually discovered how tremendous a personality she was.  Which is clearly what led me to read her book, My Life in France.

Unlike the other biographies I've read lately (Eat Pray Love and The Geography of Love), My Life in France isn't self-indulgent, nor is it prescribing a way of life and being that is so inaccessible to most (unlike the authors of those other books, Julia and her husband lived on a modest government income and actually WORKED for a living).  Even better, it introduces you to a woman who is so completely accessible and so passionate about life that you wish you had known her when she was still alive (Julia Childs passed in 2004).

One of my favorite things about the book are the words she uses to describe things: Twaddle! being my favorite.  She was such a no-nonsense, self-deprecating, deeply talented, self-aware, and FUN woman.  I definitely suggest you take the time to know her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment