Friday, November 13, 2009

Stuff and things and stuff

Judging by the number of emails I've received lately asking about Mexico and my status with the pre-employment process for the Foreign Servcie, I think y'all could use a general update.  So here it goes.

It took a while, but Congress just recently granted Anthony a language waiver for the Nogales posting.  In State Dept. language, he scored a 1+/3 in Spanish (speaking/reading), but the post requires a 3/3.  Apparently, the State Department used to have the independent ability to grant language waivers, but Congress found out that waivers were being granted willy-nilly and began to wonder why they were giving the department all this money for language training, if they were just going to send unqualified officers to every post.  So they took on the granting of language waivers.  Now a congressional oversight committee looks at all requests and State must provide a really compelling reason why a position is being saved for someone without the requisite language skills.  So I like to say that Congress is a HUGE fan of Anthony's.

With the language waiver in place, the paneling committee was finally able to meet to discuss Anthony's placement this past Friday.  It shouldn't be any surprise that they paneled him for Nogales.

The one hurdle left to cross is the receipt of actual, official orders.  Since Anthony can't make any travel or move plans without them, the orders are kind of important.  So he's spent the last week doing the following: a) trying to get access to a newly developed system that allows him to enter the required information; b) trying to get his direct supervisor access to the same system so the information Anthony entered can be approved and sent to HQ; and c) waiting for his career destruction development representative in DC to sign off on the information that Anthony entered and his supervisor approved, so that the official orders can be drawn up.

I know that a lot of people disparage the government because of the bureaucracy and the red tape, and usually this derogatory commentary annoys me (this is fodder for a much larger discussion that I'm going to avoid at the moment), but in this case, I don't understand why so much time has to be wasted just to get a piece of paper.  The process is new, I understand that, which means that there is a learning curve for all involved, but aside from that, it seems like the whole process wasn't well thought out.  Why does every employee need access to this system?  Doesn't it make more sense to train a smaller cadre of people in the use of the system, rather than just deploying it and wishing everyone luck?  It took Anthony 2 days and many phone calls to even find the right person to grant employees access to the system.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Anyway, if we luck out, Anthony may get his official orders today.

As for me and my job prospects, I'm waiting.  I mentioned previously that State's Foreign Service process goes a little something like this:
  1. register for the Foreign Service Written Exam
  2. take said exam
  3. pass said exam and get invited to complete essay questions online; submit essays
  4. if essays are up to snuff, get invited to take the Foreign Service Oral Assessment
  5. take said exam
  6. pass said exam and start pre-employment paperwork
  7. get worldwide medical clearance
  8. get top secret security clearance
  9. pass suitability review
  10. get placed on list of eligible hires according to your oral assessment score
  11. get hired!
  12. breathe a huge sigh of relief
I've also mentioned that at any point in the process, you can fail (which means you have to start the whole process all over again, if you are particularly determined to do so).  Right now I'm in the clearance stages.  I've submitted my medical paperwork, but as of Tuesday, no nurse had been assigned to review my case.  I was informed to call back in 3-4 weeks.

In terms of my security clearance, many of you have already had a stake in the process, as security investigators have contacted and interviewed you already.  I have also had my security interview.  The only thing I am aware of that is still outstanding is the security investigation report from Peru (yes, Anthony, I'm looking at YOU).  I will probably call next week to get an update on my file.

If I had to make a guess, I would say that I am still 1-2 months away from having my clearances - after I get my clearances, my case goes through a final suitability review.  This review is a closed and relatively non-transparent process so I can't really say what goes on there, but I know that it's State's last chance to get rid of someone they don't feel is qualified to be a FSO, despite their ability to get worldwide medical and top secret clearances.

Basically, ask me again around Christmas and I may have more positive news.  (The really nice thing is that once I get on the list of eligible hires, my score is so high that I am confident I will be invited to the next training class!)

In the meantime, I am still submitting job applications.  Because eventually, this girl needs a paycheck and some freakin' health insurance.

And that, my friends, is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment