Friday, January 22, 2010

What keeps this girl from getting in any kind of trouble

My days are now spent filling out form after form, researching health insurance options, and then scanning said forms for posterity.  Being a Foreign Service Officer with the State Department is much like any other government job - it's full of piles and piles of paperwork, the Paperwork Reduction Act be damned.

The two most difficult things I'm tackling these days are my move and the reimbursement for my physical exam.

The move is exacerbated by the fact that most of my belongings are still en route from Lima, Peru.  Our smaller shipment of household items arrived yesterday, which means that I can send a small shipment forward to DC (up to 250lbs), but the larger shipment of up to 7,200lbs is on hold for the time being.

I FINALLY managed to reach all the right people in the transportation office to authorize a second shipment of household effects from Massachusetts, where my mom has been holding a few items for me for, oh, a few YEARS.  It's not much, which is probably why I never bothered to go to the expense and effort of retrieving it, but it's coming to DC, folks!  Woot-effin'-woot.

The medical claim for reimbursement, on the other hand, is not going according to plan.  The kids in the claims department and the kids at the doctor's office keep missing each other.  The voucher was approved, but then the tax id number was not matching up to IRS records so now they want the doctor's W-9.  The doctor's office lady was in touch with the medical claims people yesterday, and was supposed to have faxed the document, but the medical claims people say NO GODDAMMIT, IT'S NOT HERE.  Seriously, like that, folks - in ALL CAPS.

However, the woman in the doctor's office - the only woman on earth who can apparently deal with this issue - had to leave the office for unforeseen circumstances and will be out until Tuesday.

It has taken me several weeks and a bathtub-full of margaritas to get to this point.  I'm not saying that I'm angry at anyone involved, but it is frustrating.  And it's only for a $200 reimbursement.  Oh, the amusement on Donald Trump's face if ever he had to work this hard for a measely 200 bucks...

So, that's where I am at these days, and I am about to go call the doctor's office again, to see what can be done.  And then, just for fun, I'm going to go research my health insurance options.  Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment