Today was a nice day. Vincent and I played hookey to go see a live viewing of The View, some sort of pro-woman talk show that I’ve never seen before. Today’s guests were Darryl Hannah and Kevin Bacon. What got me out of bed this morning was the prospect of seeing Quentin Tarantino, but he failed to show at the last minute and Darryl stood in for him instead. However, I was rewarded kindly for my loss, and the show gave me a free copy of the deluxe edition of The Lion King DVD, which just came out today. There is nothing like an unexpected gift to bring on a smile.
Then I got to buy a new leather purse as my lovely kitty, Daisy, peed all over my Ralph Lauren bag two nights ago. That just goes to show you that Ryan really shouldn’t buy expensive, name-brand things. Oh, how I will miss it!
Today I also decided that I have a love-hate relationship with New York City. Vincent and I have decided to definitely stay here at least until our lease runs out on the apartment (February 2005), so don’t start freaking out, Starr! But there are many things that I don’t like about this city. For one, there are too many choices. I know that a lot of people are thinking, what in the h-e-double hockey sticks is Ryan talking about?!!?! But seriously, think about it. No restaurant really lasts here so by the time you find some place you like, it’s already boarding up it’s doors and closing shop. I don’t really have the time to research every new restaurant, Broadway show, and nightclub. And then, because everything is so expensive here, I don’t want to end up wasting my money on something that is sub-par only to find out later that there was something incredible that I missed! I always feel out of the loop here.
And then there’s the issue of driving. New York drivers are far and away the WORST drivers on the planet! They are constantly breaking as if it’s going out of style! I am convinced that if there was one New York driver on a lonely stretch of road, they would still be slamming on their breaks out of habit.
The cabbies here also have this annoying habit of riding over two lanes so they can decide at any time to take one or the other. Which is great for them, but really sucky for the likes of me who is simply trying to pass the little bugger!
And don’t even get me started on the gypsy cabs!
Of course, there’s always the pedestrians. I honestly think they need to time each light to have three settings: one light turns green for one direction of traffic, then one light turns green for another lane of traffic, and finally one white walk sign lights up for the pedestrians while all traffic stops. This way, if you find a pedestrian crossing on the red “Do Not Walk” sign, you are completely free to run them down like the annoying little mucus-eaters they are! As a driver, I HATE pedestrians!!! (Amusingly enough, my ONE key ring says, “So many pedestrians, so little time!” – and this was given to me by my dear friend Joanna in high school, shortly after I got my license.)
When you get to my neighborhood, there’s also the problem of finding somewhere to shop. If I wanted to dress like an overcharged hoochie or eat at McDonalds, then this would be the place to be. As I do not, the only stores I frequent are CVS and the Thayer Cleaners (dry cleaning) – they actually have excellent service and offer me something I need. The people in these shops even remember my name… it’s a beautiful thing. In our neighborhood, I also like the little diner called “Restaurant” that is located right down the street from our apartment. I get my traditional weekend breakfast there for a damn decent price.
For everything else, I must venture downtown. And that takes forever. Despite the fact that we live a half block from the A Express Train (which, if you’re not a New Yorker and need some explaining, is an incredibly GOOD thing), it still takes about an hour to get anywhere in town. Of course, there is always the car, but I’ve already mentioned my driving woes – to which you can add car accidents, construction crews, and the astronomical price of parking garages.
So there you have it: all the reasons why Ryan hates New York. And why, you ask, does Ryan love New York?
Since you asked, I will tell you. I love New York because I live in a 3-bedroom, 2-bath apartment in the most exciting city in the world! I can see Broadway, go shopping, take in a concert, eat out – and never do anything twice! The world is at my fingertips. It is simply amazing.
We are also closer now to our friends Mark and Toni, Starr and Kathryn, Dara and Mark… and after being away from them so long, it is a wonderful thing to make plans for an evening that don’t have to include a birthday or major holiday…
Oh crappola, I lost my train of thought – Vince came in with today’s mail and I couldn’t resist going through everything! I noticed that none of you sent me a letter today…
